Dr. George Sherin K
Division of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology
Indian Veterinary Research Institute
1. Chairman of the scientific panel set up for the development of the first edition of feeding standard published by ICAR in 1985?
N. D. Kehar
2. A scientist from KAU, who was a member of the sub-committee for drafting ICAR feeding standards for goats?
3. Feeding standards in U. K. is developed by?
A R C
4. Starch digestibility in rumen ranges from?
5. Chief cellulose degrading bacteria of rumen?
6. Only VFA present in appreciable quantity in peripheral blood as an important energy source?
7. Berseem is a plant from?
8. A I V method of silage making uses the acids?
Sulphuric acid and Hydrochloric acid
9. Flieg index is a commonly used method for evaluation of?
10. Silo-fillers disease is an illness of farm workers that is caused by inhalation of the oxides of?
11. “Vana Mahotsava” the annual festival of trees was inaugurated in?
12. Beneficial effect of condensed tannin in legumes is attributed to their ability to?
13. Name two tannin complexing agents?
Polyethylene glycol (PEG) and Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP)
14. 3,4 DHP (dihydroxypyridone) and 2, 3 DHP are the break down products of the antinutritional factor ………….?
15. Chief endproduct of purine metabolism in ruminants?
16. A naturally occurring fatty acid found in ruminant products which has beneficial health attributes like anticarcinogenic activity, anti obesity and anti atherogenic activity?
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
17. Plants belonging to genus Brassica has the antinutritional factor…………?
18. Slobber syndrome and facial eczema in cattle is caused by the consumption of….?
Mycotoxins (slaframine and swainsonine)
19. Hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicates (HSCAS) are added in feed for?
20. Maximum permitted level of aflatoxin in animal feeds (as per Prevention of food adulteration act)?
30 ppb (0.03 ppm)
21. BT cotton has the gene from the bacterium?
22. Plant which is named Biodiesel?
23. The oil seed crop that is produced in the largest amount in the world is?
24. Domesticated avian species having high requirement for Niacin?
25. Mineral which is present in glucose tolerant factor?
26. Central Research Institute for Dry land Agricuture (CRIDA) is located at?
27. Tree loppings or prunings available as feed in silvipastoral system is termed?
28. Name a selenium accumulator plant?
29. N : S ratio of wool?
30. The pathway of propionate production in animal consuming high fibrous diet?
31. Term metabolizability denotes?
32. Vitamin C requirement for guinea pig diet?
200 mg/kg feed
33. Fodder feed is?
34. VFA having maximum absorption rate is?
35. Zinc deficiency causes infertility in males because it is a component of the enzyme……..?
36. Preferred source of enzyme for estimating degradability of protein in French PDI system?
S. griseus (protease)
37. Alkaloid in legume which predispose bloat?
38. If no green grass is fed to ruminants the concentrate mixture should have Vitamin A at the rate of ……..?
39. Other than HMP shunt, the conversion of …..to ……… is a source of NADP in non ruminants?
Malate to Pyruvate
40. Phosphorus content of bran?
41. Carprice reaction is concerned with the estimation of?
42. Antimetabolite of folic acid?
43. Fatal syncope in calves and pigs is due to deficiency of?
44. First discovered amino acid?
45. Chief acid of silage is?
46. Silo with minimum spoilage is?
47. Scotopsin is rich in the amino acid?
48. Meskawi is a common variety of the plant?
49. Domesticated ruminant with highest BMR?
50. Deficiency disease in which ceroid pigment is accumulated in adipose tissue of cats?
Yellow fat disease/Pansteatitis (Vitamin E deficiency)
51. Colour of pure vitamin A?
52. Reference standard in a Bomb calorimeter?
53. Brouwer equation is used to estimate?
54. A fungal enzyme added in poultry feeds containing barley?
55. Ruminant which is most prone to both cobalt deficiency and copper toxicity?
56. Biological value of microbial protein?
57. (DCP + DTP)/2 is ?
58. The pathway occurring in plants which is responsible for the conversion of fat to carbohydrate?
59. First two enzymes of urea cycle is located in?
60. Cell organelle involved in initial steps of alkoxy-phospholipid biosynthesis which leads to the production of plasmalogens?
61. Aminoacid required for the production of carnitine?
62. ………..% of the nitrogen of milk is NPN?
63. Hammer mill works on the principle of/
64. Major pathway for ATP synthesis in tissues lacking mitochondria like RBC, cornea and lens?
65. Metals inhibiting pyruvate dehydrogenase complex?
Arsenic and Mercury
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Efficiency of conversion of ß carotene to vitamin A is in the order?
a. Rat>Ruminants> Pig> Poultry
2. Rumen degradable protein content is highest for?
a. Soybean meal
b. Coconut cake
c. Groundnut cake
d. Fish meal
3. The feed which is fed “whole” to poultry but “crushed” to cattle and pig?
a. Pearl Millet
b. Great Millet
4. Experimental animals for determining GPV of a feed?
c. Guinea pig
5. Order of the efficiency of conversion of Tryptophan to Niacin?
6. Which of the following is common to salseed, sorghum and jowar?
7. Colour of ruminant bile?
b. Golden yellow
8. DCP% is highest for?
a. Lucerne hay
b. Berseem hay
c. Oat hay
d. Wheat straw
9. Which of the following is required for Ubiquinone synthesis?
a. Vitamin A and Copper
b. Vitamin E and Selenium
c. Vitamin E and Copper
d. Vitamin C and Selenium
10. The order of toxicity is?
11. Which of the following is most important in inhibiting the digestibility of paddy straw?
12. Concentration of Ammonia and Total VFA in rumen is highest for?
13. Most promising initial symptom of Vitamin A deficiency in cows and horses?
a. Copius lacrymation
b. Copius salivation
d. Night blindness
14. ……….% NDF in total ration is critical for maintenance of normal milk fat?
15. Urea treatment of straw increases?
a. CP and DCP
c. Dry matter digestibility and feed intake
d. All the above
16. Pregnancy toxemia is seen in?
a. Sheep and Goat
b. Sheep and Rat
c. Sheep and Guinea pig
d. Sheep and Rabbit
17. Taurine requirement of cats is ………..mg/kg DM in diet?
18. Amino acid precursor of lignin?
19. Mineral needed for acetate incorporation in cholesterol biosynthesis?
20. Microbe in rumen capable of breaking lignocellulosic bond?
21. Protease activity in rumen is highest for?
22. Naturally occurring fatty acid has ………..configuration?
23. Which of the following is common in nature?
a. D sugars and D amino acids
b. L sugars and L amino acids
c. D sugars and L amino acids
d. L sugars and D amino acids
24. The order of salt tolerance?
25. Urea supplementation is not recommended if CP content of ruminant diet is above?
26. Which of the following deficiency contribute to perosis?
a. Manganese and Choline
b. Biotin and Folic acid
c. Thiamine, Manganese, Choline, Biotin and Folic acid
d. Vitamin B12, Manganese, Choline, Biotin and Folic acid
27. Order of tolerance of aflatoxin?
a. Chicken>Guinea fowl>Duck
b. Duck>Guinea fowl>Chicken
c. Guinea fowl>Chicken>Duck
d. Chicken>Duck>Guinea fowl
28. Arrange the susceptibility to aflatoxin by domestic animals in descending order?
a. Rabbit> Pig> Cattle>Sheep>Chicken
29. Which of the following is used as energy source (not protein source)?
a. Linseed meal
b. Salseed meal
c. Mustard cake
d. Sunflower cake
30. All reactions in TCA cycle are reversible except the formation of?
a. Succinyl CoA
c. α keto glutarate
31. Which of the following cereal has more lysine content?
32. β oxidation can occur in?
d. Endoplasmic reticulum
33. Glycosphingolipids and glycoproteins are synthesized in?
a. Golgi body
c. Endoplasmic reticulum
34. Rate limiting enzyme in cholesterol biosynthesis?
a. α 1-4 glucosidase
b. HMG CoA reductase
c. Squalene synthetase
d. 7 α hydroxylase
35. For fatty acid synthesis, Acetyl CoA comes from mitochondria to cytoplasm as?